The competition has four themes representing four quincentennial milestones which the eligible participants may submit entries for:
● Sovereignty. This celebrates the 500th anniversary of the Victory at Mactan. To be depicted here is the gallantry of Lapulapu and his warriors in repelling the forces of Magellan in the Battle of Mactan.
● Magnanimity. This commemorates the compassion of our ancestors to the first circumnavigators of the world (i.e., Magellan-Elcano expedition) who came to Homonhon, Guiuan, Eastern Samar after traversing the deadly Pacific for almost three months: starving, undernourished, sick.
● Unity. This underscores the contributions of various nationalities in circumnavigating the world for the first time. The contribution of our ancestors is depicted through the blood compact between Rajah of Mazaua and Magellan.
● Legacy. This embodies the legacy of the first circumnavigation of the world to our country: the introduction of Christianity. To be depicted here is the presentation of the image of the Santo Niño to Queen Juana of Cebu in April 1521.
The NHCP will provide excerpts from select primary sources related to the themes above. However, we highly encourage the participating artists to conduct historical research in order to depict as accurate as possible the lifestyle, fashion, weaponry, and society of our ancestors.
Submission of Entries
1. Interested participant must submit their artwork/s with the following documents:
a. Duly accomplished entry form
b. One 2×2 ID colored photo
c. Curriculum vitae and portfolio
d. Photocopy of two (2) valid IDs
2. A participant can submit one (1) entry per theme in the competition. His or her entry must be an original work, exclusively conceptualized and executed by the participant for the 2021 Quincentennial Commemorations in the Philippines, and have not been exhibited before, revised, and recognized by other competitions.
3. The artist must submit an abstract of the entry artwork, maximum of 300 words.
4. The artist must submit a notarized certificate of original design.
5. Guidelines and forms for this competition can be downloaded from https://nqc.gov.ph.
6. The participant will shoulder the expenses in producing his or her artwork and will transport his or her entry/ies to any of the twenty-three (23) designated submission sites (see directory).* Submission deadline: 06 January 2021, 12 p.m.**
The following are the areas for the submission of entries:
7. Upon receipt of the artwork in good condition, the NQC shall ensure proper handling and care of said entry. The NQC will not be responsible for any loss or damage incurred during transport to submission venue, or at the drop-off point, or for any loss and damage of the artwork unless attributable to its fault or negligence while in its custody and safekeeping. Furthermore, the NQC shall not be responsible for loss or damage of artwork upon release at the designated retrieval venue.***
Open to Filipinos 18 years old and above, based in the Philippines with tax identification number (TIN). Members and relatives (up to the 2nd degree of consanguinity) of the NQC members, NHCP employees and officials, and the competition organizers are not eligible to participate.
1. Museo ni Juan at Antonio Luna
Address: Badoc, Ilocos Norte
Contact Person: Mr. Angel A. Raguindin Jr., Museum Curator
2. National Museum Vigan Branch
Address: Ilocos Regional Museum and Satellite Office (IRMSO), P. Burgos St., Vigan City, Ilocos Sur
Contact Person: Mr. Paolo Mar A. Chan, Supervising Administrative Officer
3. Dal-luyon Café Gallery
Address: Urbiztondo, San Juan, La Union
Contact Person: Ms. Mae Nacion (09774259137) or Mr. Chit Asignacion (09175534078), email@example.com
4. Cagayan Museum and Historical Research Center
Address: Otis St. cor. Aguinaldo St., Tuguegarao City
Contact Person: Ms. Lorie Malbog, Officer in Charge
5. Museum of Philippine Social History
Address: Pamintuan Mansion, Sto. Entierro St. cor. Miranda St., Angeles City
Contact person: Mr. Aaron D. Rivera
6. Museo ng Republika ng 1899
Address: Barasoain Church, San Gabriel, City of Malolos Bulacan
Contact Person: Mr. Jose Ruel F. Paguiligan, Senior Curator
7. National Historical Commission of the Philippines
Address: National Quincentennial Committee Secretariat, 2nd Flr., Serafin Quiason Resource Center, National Historical Commission of the Philippines Bldg., Kalaw St., Ermita, Manila
Contact Person: Ms. Ayesha Sayseng
Contact Info: (02) 5335- 1200 loc. 145 09957794673 / 09215050281
8. Museo ni Emilio Aguinaldo
Address: Kawit, Cavite
Contact Person: Ms. Haidee Paulette M. Bedruz, Museum Curator
Contact: 09564791635/ (046) 484-7643
9. Museo ni Jose Rizal
Address: Mercado St. cor. Rizal St., Brgy. 5, Poblacion, Calamba, Laguna
Contact Person: Ms. Zarah A. Escueta, Senior Curator
10. Museo ng Libingan sa Ilalim ng Lupa ng Nagcarlan
Address: Nagcarlan, Laguna
Contact Person: Ms. Sarah Jane N. Estubo, Officer in Charge
FB page: Nhcp-Museo ng Libingan sa Ilalim ng Lupa ng Nagcarlan
11. Museo ni Miguel Malvar
Address: Sto. Tomas, Batangas
Contact Person: Ms. Janna Kae Finna S. Saba, Officer in Charge
Contact: 09954548457 / 09176564157
12. Museo ni Jesse Robredo
Address: Naga City
Contact Person: Mr. Mark Anthony J. Glorioso, Museum Curator
13. Museum of Philippine Economic History
Address: Edificio Ynchausti y Compañia, Ortiz St. cor. J.M. Basa St., Iloilo City
Contact Person: Ms. Jessel N. Pitallos, Museum Curator
Contact: 09106579737 / (033) 527-5335
14. The Negros Museum
Address: Gatuslao St., Bacolod City
Contact Person: Ms. Tanya Lopez, Executive Director
15. Cebu City Historical and Cultural Affairs Office
Address: Rizal Memorial Library and Museum Bldg., Osmena Blvd., Cebu City
Contact Person: Mr. Bryner Diaz, Officer in Charge
Contact: (032) 412-4069
16. Lapu-Lapu City Cultural and Historical Affairs Commission
Address: Lapu-Lapu City Tourism Office, Lapu-Lapu City
Contact Persons: Ms. En-en Lisondra (0908-311-0382), Mr. Ernesto Tayo (0932-110-1516)
17. National Museum Tagbilaran
Address: Bohol Area Museum and Satellite Office (BAMSO), C.P. Garcia Ave., Poblacion, Tagbilaran City, Bohol
Contact Person: Ms. Audrey Dawn Tomada, Administrative Officer V
Contact: 09258887200 / 09278814044
18. Department of Tourism Region 8
Address: Magsaysay Blvd., Downtown, Tacloban City, Leyte
Contact Person: Mr. Bing Lumbre
Contact: 09276354728 / 09988889715 firstname.lastname@example.org
19. National Museum Zamboanga
Address: Western-Southern Mindanao Regional Museum and Satellite Office Fort Pilar, Zamboanga City
Contact Person: Ms. Maria Rosalinda K. Fernando, Supervising Admin. Officer
20. Cagayan de Oro Museum
Address: Fernandez St. cor. Rizal St., Gaston Park, Brgy. 1, Cagayan de Oro
Contact person: Mr. Jesus Christopher F. Salon, Officer in Charge (09158810719);
Mr. Benjiemar G. Dagala (09480181549); Mr. Eric John B. Villena (09532613110)
21. Museo Dabawenyo
Address: PWC-MFAMSC, University Ave., Juna Subdivision, Davao City
Contact Person: Ms. Winnie Rose B. Galay, Officer-in-Charge; and Mr. Mahavir B. Ramirez, Technical Assistant
Contact: (082) 222-6011; 09273504659
22. Department of Education Region XII
Address: DepEd Regional Office XII, Brgy. Carpenter Hill, Koronadal City
Contact: Mr. Magdaleno Duhilag Jr.
Contact: 09087431438 email@example.com
23. National Museum Butuan Branch
Address: Eastern-Northern Mindanao Regional Museum and Satellite Office (ENMRMSO), Doongan, Butuan City
Contact Person: Ms. Lilita Concon,
Supervising Administrative Officer
Contact: 09177983397 / 09104259294
1. The entry should be 3 feet by 4 feet in either horizontal/ landscape or vertical/portrait orientation.
2. Must come in the form of an unframed single stretched canvas or museum/gallery wrap on a ¾” thickness. No assemblage or removable component/s allowed.
3. Medium to be used for the artwork must be oil or acrylic on canvas only. Entries must be fully cured by date of submission (artworks must be fully dry; pieces with wet paint will not be accepted).
4. Each entry must be identified with a card tag enclosed in a small envelope and attached to the wooden stretcher at the back of the painting. The card tag must have the following information:
a. Artist (First Name, Middle Name, Surname)
b. Title of the artwork
c. Medium, Size, and Year
5. Directly writing the information on the canvas is not allowed.
6. Submitted entries must not be signed by the artist before the competition. However, winners shall sign their names on their works on an appointed schedule. Winners must use the appropriate and durable art media in signing their artworks. Likewise, participating artists are prohibited from posting the submitted artwork on their personal and professional social media accounts. Violation of this rule shall result in automatic disqualification.
7. All entries must be ready for exhibition and should have hanging provisions. The weight of the painting must not exceed 20 kilos.
The Selection Committee
1. The NQC shall select the board of judges. The decision of the selection committee shall be final and uncontestable.
2. Judges may decide not to award prizes if the entries do not meet certain artistic and technical requirements.
3. The NQC reserves the right to withdraw any award and/or cash prize should the participant violate any of the rules and regulations of the competition.
4. There will be three (3) levels of selection:
a. 1st level: 15 entries will be shortlisted per theme
b. 2nd level: 5 entries per theme
c. 3rd level: 3 entries per theme
Prize and Awarding of Winners
1. The announcement of selected winners will be on 26 February 2021.
2. The winners and selected artworks will also be posted on the NQC website and social networking sites.
3. All artworks of the prize winners shall automatically become properties of the NQC. The intellectual property rights of the major and minor prize winners shall be given to NQC in perpetuity. This includes the right to use, produce or reproduce the design for whatever purpose and whichever form as may be deemed fit by NQC without further compensation to the artist or his heirs and assignees.
4. The prizes are as follows:
Grand winners (one  per theme): Php 500,000.00
Minor Prize winners/Runner Ups (two  per theme): Php 50,000.00
*All prizes are subject to 20% tax per government regulation.
5. The NQC will release guidelines in retrieving the non-winning artworks.
6. All submitted entries will be part of a published catalog of works.
06 March 2020. Online launching of the art competition (through NQC social media accounts)
06 January 2021. Deadline of submission of entries, application form, and documentary requirements
2nd Week February 2021. Judging 1st level
3rd Week February 2021. Judging 2nd level
4th Week February 2021. Judging 3rd level
26 February 2021. Announcement of winners
10 May 2021 to 21 June 2021. Official retrieval dates